Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bend Me, Break Me, Any Way You Want Me

...As long as we win, baby, it's alright. That was ugly. But there were certainly bright spots worth talking about.

Tim Redding - Tim has emerged as the presumptive ace of our staff after this start, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, his second start was weird and wonky, but his first start and this one have been very solid. Your ace is the guy you turn to when you need to stop a skid, and Tim did that today. 6IP, 3ER, and he pitched better than that through five, so I'm happy with it.

Invader Zim - Strong outing today from Zimmy. From moving Lastings Milledge over to third in the eighth to his other hits and his two RBIs, Ryan had a good day. He'll be fine, have no fear. 

Lastings - Okay, first things first, he was safe. I still don't like the decision to run, but he was definitely safe at home. If he can keep getting on base like he did today, he's going to make Omar Minaya look like a real asshole. 

The low lights of course made their appearances today, and they were headed chiefly by the return of the most exciting closer in baseball. Chad Cordero, who I want to succeed, I really do, went .2IP, 1H, 2BB. And then Big Jon had to come in and get a one pitch save on a flyout to right that had my heart racing. I hope Chad can get his issues worked out, but man, I hate knowing that a 1-2-3 9th just isn't going to happen.

The Nats have the day off tomorrow and then head up to the Sheadium, where I'll see them take on the Mets on Wednesday and potentially Thursday. Excitement abounds. Also, Bob Carpenter and Don Sutton pointed out today that the Nats could very well see Tim Hudson four times in a span of less than a month. Ugh, fate worse than death.

Since I'm updating this from a Mac, it of course looks funny, but I'll fix it later.

No comments: